Monday, February 7, 2011

Beautiful



"The king is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord." Psalm 45:11

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this song from Mercy Me - it plays all the time I know, but it is just so good. I'm not sure if it is the pregnancy hormones or the big stomach I'm sporting these days that make me turn it up everytime I hear it.

As I was listening for the third time last night on the way home from a Super Bowl party I kept thinking about Rozlynn. I pray that she knows she is beautiful because she is a child of the King and no other reason. I then began to think about a long list of former students and current students (it it counts that I am still listed as the teacher) that need to be reminded of this simple fact: they are beautiful. My heart just breaks for these young girls who are searching in so many ways to feel beautiful. I think a lot of this is our fault, the more "mature" ladies in their lives. What sort of message am I sending these beautiful young ladies about what makes us beautfiul...or am I sending the wrong message about body image? Yes, we are to be healthy and I am 100% about promoting that, but I think I can stop the negative talk about myself and spend more time talking about how being healthy on the outside is a reflection of being healthy on the inside. It starts with realizing who you are and who you were meant to be, beautiful. If I'm being honest I need to remember that fact as well, as do many other ladies who I am lucky enough to call my friends.

Anyway, I'm not sure if that is even clear - my mind seems to be mush today. (Not having the best of days.) I do know that I pray that Rozlynn will learn what makes her beautiful and that I do my part to lead her in the right direction, to not focus on what other's think she needs to be. I ask you today to pray for many teenage girls, being in the school with junior high and high school students I can tell you they are searching. They need to know they are beautiful and what that truly means, the world and media send them the wrong message daily. These girls are beautiful, thank you to Mercy Me for this song.

Wishing you all a fabulous week full of many blessings. It will be a busy one for the Hightower family we have 3 away games, man I'm already tired. Hopefully I will start to feel better ASAP, I have to head to North Hopkins tonight for game 1 of the week.

(Have I mentioned how proud I am of my husband and what he has been doing this year? That's another post coming soon)

3 comments:

  1. Mrs. Hightower,
    This post just reminded me, once again, how much I love and respect you. You have always been an encourager to me, as well as many other students. I hold on to the notes you wrote me throughout my high school years. My favorite is the one you gave me when you wrote all of us last year. Everytime I doubt what I'm doing with my life, I read that letter and it's this boost of encouragement that tells me to keep going and maybe one day I can impact kids lives like you have impacted so many of our lives. I just want you to know, you are an amazing and absolutely beautiful woman.
    Thank you for being so encouraging.
    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WoW! look at what you have already acomplished, with the above comment from that young lady! Girl~ God has already given you a gift of encouraging! and I have no doubt that you as Rozlyn's mommy~ she will be taught that she is already beautiful! And also that she is Fearfully and Wonderfully Made! Oh! I just so wish that there was so many more of the "Mommies" out there like you! Sweetie you are a beautiful person, and that shines over to your children! What a Blessed Gift that you are:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are wonderful! You encourage me with every post you write! Thank you! Rozlynn will be one lucky girl to have a mother like you!!

    ReplyDelete