IT IS A LIE
I have been wondering why this is said, where does it come from...here is the scripture I think is the heart of this saying.
"No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it." I Corinthians 10:13
However, the more I looked and researched this verse I saw the word TEMPTATION - God doesn't TEMPT us, and He does not allow Satan to TEMPT us more than we can bear. But, this verse does not say anything about circumstance, stress, worry, pain, or grief - it is talking about being tempted.
temp·ta·tion –noun
1. the act of tempting; enticement or allurement.
2. something that tempts, entices, or allures.
3. the fact or state of being tempted, esp. to evil.
4. an instance of this.
5. the temptation of Christ by Satan. Matt. 4
Temptation has nothing to do with the trials we face as Christians. Actually I have seen this "saying" to be the exact opposite - you can count on God given you more than YOU can bear or that YOU can handle, because being a Child of the King is about losing control, so as long as YOU try to handle a situation it will not get better. Sometimes we are so far deep in our stress, pain, sorrow that they ONLY place we can turn is to God. In that moment we stop trying to handle the circumstance and allow God to step in we receive some peace, some comfort, some relief. I even found this in scripture:
"We think you ought to know, dear brothers and sisters, about the trouble we went through in the province of Asia. We were crushed and overwhelmed beyond our ability to endure, and we thought we would never live through it. In fact, we expected to die. But as a result, we stopped relying on ourselves and learned to rely only on God, who raises the dead. And he did rescue us from mortal danger, and he will rescue us again. We have placed our confidence in him, and he will continue to rescue us. And you are helping us by praying for us. Then many people will give thanks because God has graciously answered so many prayers for our safety." 2 Cor 1:8-11
I am so sorry to anyone I ever told that "God won't give your more than you can handle" because yes He will! Instead I should have encourage you to "cast your cares upon Him" and to let God take control, not give you comfort in thinking that YOU could handle the situation. Because, the honest truth is YOU can't, but God can, and He will if you allow it to happen.
If you are going through a trial, don't take comfort thinking God won't give you more than you can handle...it's a lie. I know I have found myself many times thinking, okay I can handle this, and I fail at doing so, then I think well, if God won't give me more than I can handle, what's wrong with me...and it snowballs from there. Take the pressure off yourself...know from the beginning YOU can't handle it, but trust that God can, and be thankful that He is bringing you closer to Him.
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds,because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1: 2-4
Now, I am not saying I go out praying for trials, but I do pray to be closer to God and sometimes I have so much standing in the way of Him that it takes a trial for me to move everything out of the way and focus on my Savior.
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30
"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." I Peter 5: 6-7
The same goes for those of you who are trying to do good, but you cannot see the reward. Take comfort knowing you don't have to be in control, you don't have to be the one to handle the situation.
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9
Instead, keep fighting the good fight, hold on to God's word, and trust His promises.
All this said to say that I pledge to never lie to my friends who are hurting, I promise to encourage them to seek God for He alone can handle the circumstance.
If you are going through a trial, don't take comfort thinking God won't give you more than you can handle...it's a lie. I know I have found myself many times thinking, okay I can handle this, and I fail at doing so, then I think well, if God won't give me more than I can handle, what's wrong with me...and it snowballs from there. Take the pressure off yourself...know from the beginning YOU can't handle it, but trust that God can, and be thankful that He is bringing you closer to Him.
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds,because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1: 2-4
Now, I am not saying I go out praying for trials, but I do pray to be closer to God and sometimes I have so much standing in the way of Him that it takes a trial for me to move everything out of the way and focus on my Savior.
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30
"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." I Peter 5: 6-7
The same goes for those of you who are trying to do good, but you cannot see the reward. Take comfort knowing you don't have to be in control, you don't have to be the one to handle the situation.
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9
Instead, keep fighting the good fight, hold on to God's word, and trust His promises.
All this said to say that I pledge to never lie to my friends who are hurting, I promise to encourage them to seek God for He alone can handle the circumstance.

Hi! Stacy, hope all is well with you! It is so good to hear from you, and get us caught up! this post is wonderful, and the honesty of it helps me as well. This is what I mentioned a few posts ago is that we can and need each other to learn from! Love It! Thanks for sharing! Have a great and Happy:) Friday! I have been behind catching up, with friends, my daughter has been in the hospital this week, brought her home today!
ReplyDeleteAmen, Stacy, Amen! Years ago my fiance was tragically killed, and many well-meaning friends share this "verse" with me! I, too, studied God's Word to see what He really said..and you are exactly right. Sign me up to take this pledge with you. God is big enough to handle any circumstances, isn't He?! :)
ReplyDeleteSweet blessings to you ~
Cindy :)
awesome post stacy! people have told me the exact same thing before. you are absolutely right, it's not about us & how we can overcome - it's about "greater is He that is in me" and how He overcomes. such a relief actually! to know that the God of the universe is willing and able to handle anything that comes our way, if we submit & seek him. good reminder, thanks girl!
ReplyDeleteSounds like the Lord is really using your "down time" to teach you so many things. Our pastor has a book called "No! That is NOT in the Bible" and that phrase is one of the chapters. I haven't read it, but I doubt he could have said it any better than you. Love you! Diane
ReplyDelete