Sunday, April 4, 2010

I Never Saw Another Butterfly

This year our one act play is about the Holocaust, I Never Saw Another Butterfly, and it has really made me (the entire company) think. We chose this play because we really believe in telling a story that sends a message to the audience. Everyone in our company wants to tell the story of the children of the Holocaust and how they were able to face that horror with diginity, strength, and grace. Wow, we have learned a lot from the voices of these children. I can only imagine the magnitude of their faith.
With that said one of the cast members recently asked me why God allowed the Holocaust to take place. Man, what a question. I wish I had the perfect answer for this sweet child, but I just took a breath asked God for help and tried to answer as best as I could.

The conclusion that I reached was that I really don't know. I don't think anyone knows...but God does know and despite the horrific things that happened to these poor children, God had and has a plan. I do know that because of that horrible moment in our history, I have researched and studied stories of children and chose to present this play to many people. I have personally learned so much about God and his church through all of this. We are made to come together, to use our brothers and sisters for strength, direction, correction, and encouragement. The children and people who endure the Holocaust did so together. These lesson remind me that God created us to live together, we are not to go through life alone. I just pray that it doesn't take tragedy for me to really understand that concept. To quote from the play, "the lesson: alone we are helpless, but together we are not afraid of anyone." So to answer the question, I think that maybe one reason of millions that I will never know is that God wanted me, Stacy Hightower, to understand a little more completely what the His church is about.

I am thankful for the lesson we have learned through our study, I pray that we will always remember. I am thankful for hard times, because in the moments we learn so much about our God.  I will end with the words we say before each performance: we hear you and we remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment