Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Hardships

hardship: noun a condition that is difficult to endure; suffering; deprivation; oppression; lack of comfort; life of hardship

What is a hardship? What makes something difficult to endure? What causes suffering, oppresion, deprivation? What brings a lack of comfort? Is there a connection between hardship and attitude, hardship and your heart?

My mind is so cluttered and cloudy at the moment. I have this overwhelming sense of hardship...why? What causes us as humans to go through these times where everything and everyone seems too difficult to bear?

I know there is a connection between my heart and those things which seem as a hardship...the connection has to be because of my lack of faith...right? If I had the right attitude the right focus in my heart would I really see these things as hardship? I was reading a blog today (Carlile Crew: see the link on the left to read) that was talking about looking in the mirror and seeing ourselves and others as God sees us. He loves and created us all...even those we sometimes feel are hard to love. Two songs from Brandon Heath keep playing over and over in my head the past few days. (I'm linking them below) When I have these overwhelming feelings or I am "down in the dumps" as some might say I try to count my blessing. I am going to try that now:
1. I'm Forgiven

I think that covers it all - doesn't it? I'm loved, I'm forgiven, I'll recieve mercy, no matter what happens. Can't I take comfort in that, shouldn't that make hardships easy to endure? Yes it should - but why doesn't it always work - why do I have that sinful nature? If you have any words of wisdom please share - any scripture I can memorize to go back to on days/weeks like these.



Give Me Your Eyes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OihvG607W-c

He's Not Finished with Me Yet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i52FtpO4gI

1 comment:

  1. You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you. Isaiah 26:3 has always been helpful to me. Realizing that not only does my heart have to be focused on him but also my mind. I am praying for you. Keeping your mind focused on anything other than babies is SOOOO difficult when you want one so badly. We miss seeing you guys. Maybe ya'll could come over for dinner some night with Luke and Kathryn!

    ReplyDelete