The hardest part for me about being a Christian is the whole, "love your enemies" thing. It's really hard for me when someone is mean not to me but to someone that I love...man it makes me MAD!!!!!!!!!!
I know anger is real emotion and God knows that we have it, but it is what we do with that anger that matters. This verse used to be painted on my wall at my house when I was in high school, "In your anger do not sin, do not let the sun go down while you are still angry." Ephesians 4:26 I tried hard to live by this, it wasn't until "adulthood" that it began to become so real and so incredibly challenging...because I felt anger in new ways: anger as a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter, or a friend. I confess this to be one of my deepest struggles - having anger deep in my heart...just festering, I don't tell anyone about it - I just let it sit until I reach a point that it starts to seep out at times where I don't mean it to happen. It is hard to let go of hurt feelings...hard to forget those times you felt hated, cursed, mistreated, not taken care of, or watched someone you love be so unhappy because of other people (most of the time other Christians).
Sadly I am having to overcome these feelings right now. Here is all I know to do...
"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you." Luke 6:27-31
God gave us His Word so that we would know the right way to live, when times are so hard that we cannot comprehend how to get out of the valley we face...we seek His Word and find the right way to overcome. That's why I love it so much, it is real it changes things and attitudes! God's Word builds you up feeds your inner soul with strength, direction, endurance, faith...you fill in the blank with whatever you are needing.
So today, right now in this valley I am in and in this hurt I feel for someone I love I am clinging to the direction of God's Word, I am going to "love my enemies, do good to those who hate me or my family, bless those who curse me, pray for those who mistreat me, my family, and someone that I love...do unto them as I wish they would treat me and those I care about the most." I will spend however long it takes praying for them for the anger and disappointment to leave my heart, and not worry about the rest. I want other's to see God and His Word alive in me. If I am "just loving those who love me, doing good to those who are good to me what credit is that to me? Even sinners do that, people who do not have the Spirit of the Living God in them do that." (Luke 6:32-34). Instead I must:
"love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful." Luke 6:35-36
Nothing will change your heart like pure true love, and when we spend time in Scripture and desire to live the right way,we are allowing God's love for us to change us - we will begin to see just how great His love is and we will desire to allow that love to change someone else. So bring it on..."enemies*" I love you and God's love through me will change you!
*I do not have any real enemies, I just have hurt feelings. I think that is worse sometimes!
Friday, July 8, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Great post Stacy! I must admit...my boys and I spend a lot of time talking about the verse "In your anger do not sin"! I am some how hoping that if they can learn this at an early age it won't be so difficult when they are my age!! I can totally relate to you in this post! I love your heart and the way you are choosing to run to him and allowing His word to be your strength! So glad I got to see you and Katie and sweet Rozlyn last night!
ReplyDeleteSuperb work. HD Wallpapers
ReplyDelete