Monday, November 8, 2010

The Pump

 
I have really struggled with not getting pictures of "the pump" recently, but today I decided that it needed to be documented, hopefully one day I can look back at all of this and just smile.

So here goes...

I have what is called Hyperemesis Gravidarum - I've been told it happens to about 3% of pregnant women. I also had it with Reese but it was not as severe as it is with this pregnancy. Here is link to a website the explains a little about it if you are clueless.


Anyway,

I have been hooked up to a pump that keeps Zofran in  my system 24/7 - it has been a week and a half now on the pump. Results... well I'm getting better. I only vomit every 2 days or so now, and the most is 3 times in a day...but the last time was just 2 instead of the 8/10 plus. I have gone from being nauseated 24/7 to only 6-8 hours a day. I actually ate real food this weekend, didn't keep it all down, but it was better than chicken noodle soup and crackers.  My family has been so good to me, I know it's hard to put up with this version of Stacy. I really can't do much, I can sit on the couch, sometimes ride in the car, and usually watch TV, but more than that in one day is a little much. I'm grumpy, tired, and very emotional (all great signs that the baby is doing just perfect). I just haven't been much of wife or mother - okay I have not been one the past 3 plus weeks. I am just very thankful for this baby and know that it will all be worth it in April. (My doctor did hint to the fact that this should be my last pregnancy...I think he is right on that one)

I was really nervous about the pump, having to change my site - I am not a big fan of needles so I wasn't sure I was going to be able to do...but I must say, I feel like a pro now - it's not that bad and I use and ice pack to numb my tummy each time so I don't feel it. The only thing that hurts is when I need to change the site because of the Zofran being rough on the skin...and it doesn't look pretty. The little places are read and some bruised, but that is a VERY small price to pay for feeling better.

Here are some pictures of what my site and pump look like


The pump and syringe - the syringe is changed every 20 hours



This is the site


This is the super cool and stylish bag that attaches around my hips...you know you want one!

Well, now I have documented this part of my journey with such a little blessing. I go back to the doctor tomorrow, and we will see if I can go back to work this week as well as check the baby. So far the baby is doing great, he/she gets everything first so it just takes a lot for me to recover from an episode. Even though I am very frustrated, tired, emotional, sometimes mad, and constantly sick I would not change one thing I am going through because I know God is blessing me with a little miracle.

"He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

4 comments:

  1. Wow Stacy! I am praying for you! Glad to know that baby is doing well. I can't imagine being that sick all the time...although they do say that means the baby is healthy and growing! You are so right...it is all worth it. What a blessing this new little one will be to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Stacy, so happy to hear from you, and girl I have never heard of this! I guess thats just technolgy that has way passed me by! But Praise God if it helps you I am thankful for it! And I know that you will be so Happy when Baby gets here, and it is going to be so worth the little set-backs! To God be the Glory! I am still praying for you! Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol-ok I was trying to click on comments, but i clicked on makes me smile. Don't think it makes me smile to know you have to have this pump. I am thankful though that it is helping you and very thankful that God is in control of this and the baby is staying healthy during all this. I pray that you feel healthy as well very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Stacy, ok, haven't heard from you or Katy in a long while! Hope all is well, when I don't hear from my regulars in a while it causes me to be concerned! Just making sure yall are ok!!

    ReplyDelete